Recipient of the Singapore Youth Award 2015, the nation’s highest accolade for outstanding youths.
Other achievements and leadership roles:
- Recipient of the prestigious Shell-National Arts Council Scholarship in 2005.
- Co-founder and Executive Director of The TENG Company.
- Multiple-award winning Sheng performer.
- Executive Committee member of the Singapore Chinese Music Federation.
- President of the Singapore Sheng Association.
- Music Director and Founder of the first and only Sheng ensemble in South East Asia, "Resonance".
- Music Director and Conductor of the Chinese orchestras of Raffles Institution, Raffles Junior College, Catholic High School (Primary), Elias Park Primary School and Temasek Polytechnic.
Three-time Sheng champion at the National Chinese Music Competition
Ji Wei read music at the Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing, China under renowned Sheng masters Professor Yang Shoucheng and Feng Haiyun. He started learning the Sheng since he was 10, under Guo Changsuo and has received guidance from Professor Xu Chao Ming (Shanghai Conservatory) and Weng Zhen Fa.
In 2004, he won the first prize at the First Solo Combined Category for Guanzi, Suona and Sheng in Singapore’s National Chinese Music Competition. In the same competition, he was also twice a first-prize winner in the Ensemble Category (2000, 2004). Since then, Ji Wei has taken leadership roles in education, musical direction and conducting, including directorship of the Musicians Guild of Singapore from 2014 to 2018. As part of his mission to promote the Sheng, he founded the first and only Sheng ensemble in South East Asia, "Resonance”, as well as the recently inaugurated Singapore Sheng Association.
Established Chinese Orchestra Conductor
Ji Wei was the youngest conductor of a Gold Award winning school at the Singapore Youth Festival Central Judging 2005. His music directorship of the Anglo Chinese School (Barker Road)’s Chinese Orchestra brought the once ailing orchestra to Gold Award status. His other conducting achievements include:
- Raffles Junior College Chinese Orchestra – Distinction (2015)
- Raffles Institution Chinese Orchestra – Distinction (2014), Distinction (2013), Gold (2011)
- Catholic High School (Primary) Chinese Orchestra – Distinction (2014), Gold with Honours (2012)
- Elias Park Primary School Chinese Orchestra – Distinction (2014)
- Jurong Primary School Chinese Orchestra – Gold (2010)
- Nan Hua High School Guzheng Ensemble – Gold (2009)
- Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road) Chinese Orchestra – Gold (2005)